Monday, June 21, 2010

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...


If you've read much of my ramblings you've probably figured out that open water swimming and I are not the best of friends.

The thing about taking on something when you're older is that you never get to get used to the activity during those wonder years of complete ignorance of your own mortality. When my friend Allison and I decided to trick out my wagon to make it into Snoopy's Sopwith Camel with me in the Snoopy role wearing an old football helmet, we never thought it would be anything but really really cool to fire the wagon downhill on our quiet residential street because the street ended in a T where the wagon could, I don't know, just quietly disgorge the occupant into the grassy field at the end, having avoided any traffic on the cross street during the trip as well. Quite a few things could have gone wrong but the adventure never happened and I'm not sure if we were found out or if some inner adult spoke up to me and said it was a bad idea. i just know that when I first started triathlons I so wanted to be that girl in the wagon again - focused only on the adventure, relying on a grassy field to provide the safety net.

So, what have I done to take care of the swim anxiety.
1. Gave up caffeine - and yes, chocolate does contain caffeine and yes, I really freaking missed it.
2. 12 weeks of anti-anxiety therapy with attendant changes in relationships that were making me crazy
3. Total immersion swimming lessons, looking like a goof starting all pool workouts with bobbing. I LOVE BOBBING by the way, makes me feel like a kid again.
4. The latest, having  needles stuck into me, by a professional who will read interesting things for me off Wikipedia to take my mind off the needles that are making me anxious, in the treatment for anxiety that involves needles.

My acupuncturist, as above, keeps asking me for any feedback on whether the treatment seems to be working for the anxiety. So far she's loosened up my back, my right ankle and hip flexors but, it was hard to gauge mental changes. Well, Kris, here's your mental change.

On Saturday, just for fun, I leap out of a moving boat into the mouth of a river and swam up it. And I didn't freak out a bit. My heart rate was elevated from the jump but I just had fun. I bilateral breathed in open water. For me that has been the holy grail. I have never been comfortable enough to keep my heart rate low enough to support that level of relaxed breathing.

I am so pumped for more open water adventures this summer. I have an island to swim around, that river to do again and again, and, perhaps this lovely lake that is the centre of a park that we visit to hike. No boats, calm, small enough to swim across. Open water swimming envisioned as trail running.

I'm going to kill those races this year.

Oh, and later that day I tried to climb up a cliff to grab a suspended rope that would catapult me into the lake. Couldn't quite make it but it's early days.

2 comments:

  1. Holy crap! Way to slay that dragon!

    Strange question from your acupuncturist. What causes more anxiety? Having needles stuck into your body, or jumping from a moving boat? Hmmm...I would jump from that boat every day of the week. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! What fun :-) It will all pay off for you this year!

    ReplyDelete