Wednesday, August 19, 2009

It was supposed to be lovely and wonderful, instead it was ugly and disturbing. And I'm pretty sure something is going to end up infected.

I feel like we're getting down to crunch time. For Alex and I this is our last week of the 3rd last training cycle. We get next weekend off, then it's 7 weeks on, 1 week off and a 4 week taper. Consequently missed workouts start to prey on the mind. Today I decided that, nothing venture, nothing gained, so I would try the big outdoor pool down at the lake for my 3300 metre (pls help me) swim workout.

I don't know about you but I find the whole idea of going to a new pool to be really difficult. I think it's because you are barely dressed and your hair is going to get wet - both those things leave me pretty vulnerable. So, this was a big step for me but I didn't get into triathlon to work out inside and the summer has finally warmed up so - off to an outdoor pool. It sounded romantic. The staff promised all day lane swimming in one section of the pool.

I should have asked about the floating filth.

After a ridiculous, hot and long drive - transit to the lake not being a priority of the city of Toronto - I paid my $3 for parking and walked into the pool building. It was promising, it was clean, it felt like the right thing to do. The lockers were ridiculously small but I had two quarters.

First problem was the sudden failure of the spandex in my bathing suit. (see above) I have boobs, this is an issue.

Feeling very much let down I proceeded to the pool area only to find the "lap swim" area populated by young men with more testosterone than swimming ability. Heads up, arms flailing, zigzagging at warp speed to one end with a long breathless wait at the other.

In my peer group I'm a crappy swimmer - here I was that chick with the great body and all the gold medals. I swam one lap, decided that manslaughter might be a charge if I stayed, and had a ridiculous long and hot drive home.

So now I sit, having missed a key workout, contemplating a course of intravenous antibiotics, debating whether to try the swim again tomorrow or just move on to the bike interval workout. On my trainer, in a hot house...choice made. A lovely wonderful indoor pool. A supportive bathing suit. But still 3300 metres.

No comments:

Post a Comment